Locally, nationally and internationally, Nimbus is best known and widely recognized as the premier publisher of books about Atlantic Canada. Our list is wonderfully diverse, with many titles that have found success in an incredibly competitive marketplace.
Our books usually fall into one or more of these categories: biography, art, history, science and nature, political and social issues, folklore, children’s fiction and non-fiction, sports, guidebooks, cookbooks, and photographic books. We publish fiction for adults under the Vagrant Press imprint. Nimbus does not publish in the following sub-genres: self-help, religion, philosophy, poetry, drama, erotica.
- send a cover letter with a current mailing address, phone number and email address; a description of the book and its market; a short bio.
- send a detailed table of contents or outline.
- send the first three to four chapters (or approximately 50 pages).
- browse the Nimbus website to ensure your project is a good fit with our publishing program.
- include a self-addressed, stamped postcard with your submission if you would like us to confirm receipt.
- send simultaneous submissions—simply notify us if your manuscript is under consideration elsewhere, and, of course, if it is accepted for publication while it is under our consideration.
- expect an eventual response. Please be patient—it can take us anywhere from four to twelve months to respond to a submission.
- expect us to treat all materials confidentially.
- propose a project that does not reflect or speak directly to Atlantic Canada’s people, places, history, or culture.
- send original material, artwork, or manuscripts. Proposal materials are not returned, so please do not send postage or self-addressed stamped envelopes.
- include illustrations with a proposal. If you are an illustrator interested in working with Nimbus, send a letter of introduction with a website address and/or a portfolio to the address below. Please only send materials you do not need returned.
- phone us about a submission.
- expect feedback. We receive many submissions each month and are only able to offer feedback to those submissions that are possibilities for our publishing program.
- send submissions by email. All submissions must be received by regular mail at the address below.
SEND PROPOSALS BY MAIL TO:
Whitney Moran, Managing Editor
3660 Strawberry Hill B3K 5A9
Thank you for taking the time to review these guidelines. We rely on the talent, creativity, and hard work of writers, photographers, artists, and illustrators everywhere, and recognize that without you we could not do what we do.
Vagrant Press, Nimbus Publishing’s fiction imprint, is accepting proposals for full-length works of fiction. We regularly accept unsolicited submissions.
Vagrant aims to publish high-quality, original books. We’re looking for stories with broad appeal, and writing that is modern and innovative. We are dedicated to supporting Atlantic Canadian writers, and as such first consideration will be given to manuscripts written by Atlantic Canadians. (We are only accepting submissions from Canadian citizens at this time.)
While we are primarily interested in literary novels, we will consider collections of short fiction. In general, we are not interested in genre fiction (romance, speculative fiction), although we will consider mystery/crime novels.
PLEASE INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING WITH YOUR SUBMISSION:
- a cover letter with your full contact information and relevant writing experience and publication credits (if applicable)
- a brief (one-page) synopsis of what your book is about
- a sample of the manuscript (approx. 50 pages)
- a self-addressed stamped envelope (only if you would like manuscript returned to you)
Send your submission to:
Whitney Moran, Managing Editor
3660 Strawberry Hill St.
Halifax, NS B3K 5A9
Please be patient—it can take us up to six months to review and respond to a submission. No phone calls, please.